Tuesday

Bewitched


For the first time in my life, I met a girl who doesn't like Jane Austen. She says she just can't understand the appeal. That her dialogue is great, but the parts in between are so dry. The half of me that only got part of the way through Pride and Prejudice before renting the movie agrees with her. The part of me that has watched this scene a million times doesn't.

What is it with women and Jane Austen? For me it is that warm feeling that wraps around your heart and slips down into the pit of your stomach at the end of any movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. A happy ending. That is why we love her. Some may claim it is the complexity of the characters or the flourishing language, but when you get right down to the nitty-gritty of it, we love her because she writes about love. And who wouldn't love that?





1 comment:

  1. I'm not the biggest Jane Austen fan. I'd rather watch the A&E Pride and Prejudice than read the book any day.
    Have you seen Lost in Austen? You can watch it free on Netflix if you have an account. Jane Austen fans are very split. My best friend and I loved it. I have other friends that hate it. It's a nice spin on Pride & Prejudice. It looks at all of the characters differently. Watch it!

    Anywho, Jane Austen. I am definitely not one of those in love with Mr. Darcy. I used to be. I have never thought he was the best/hottest male fictional character. Arrogance just doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete